In all three cases, you should know that the territory covered by transport is divided into 5 zones:
- If you stay in Paris, you will use zones 1 to 3.
- If you leave Paris, in particular to go to airports, Versailles or Disneyland, you will use zones 1 to 5.
Here is map of these areas.
You are a fan of walking? you are quite right, walking tours in Paris allow the most beautiful discoveries. And then you won’t need public transport.
But if, on a given day, you want to use public transport several times, then you may want to use the convenient and inexpensive Mobilis package.
Valid for one day, from midnight to midnight, it allows you to travel unlimited in the chosen areas.
You can travel on all modes of transport in Ile-de-France: Metro, RER, Bus, Tramway and Train - except for a few special lines.
You will find here all the information about this Mobilis.
It is a pass specially designed for tourists.
In the form of a magnetic coupon, the Paris Visite Pass package gives you access to all transport networks: metro, tramway, bus, RER and Transilien SNCF.
This permit is valid for 1, 2, 3 or 5 consecutive days. It allows you to travel at will in Paris (zones 1 to 3) or Paris Region Ile-de-France (all zones, with access to airports including Orlyval, Disneyland Paris and the Château de Versailles).
You can buy it from the Friday of the previous week.
Navigo Découverte allows you to travel at will in Paris (zones 1 to 3) or Paris Region Ile-de-France (all zones, with access to airports including Orlyval, Disneyland Paris and the Château de Versailles).
You can buy it at any metro station but also at the carriers’ counters and at authorized dealers without having to fill out a file. It is not available online.
You will find here all the information about this Navigo Discovery.
Comparison between the Paris visit Pass et the Navigo Discovery.
The comparison between the Paris Visit Pass and the Navigo Découverte pass is very difficult to make because the parameters are very numerous and different from one formula to another... For example:
- The children. Children aged 4 to 12 benefit from discounts with the Paris Visit Pass but not with the Navigo Découverte.
- The period of use. The Paris Visit Pass can be started any day of the week, while the Navigo Découverte must start on Monday.
- The duration. The duration of the Navigo Découverte is 1 or 7 days (even a month if you want), while the duration of the Paris Visit Pass is, as we have seen, 1, 2, 3 or 5 days (we wonder why there is no one for 4 days...).
- The zones. With the Paris Visit Pass, you can choose between zones 1 to 3 or zones 1 to 5. With the Discovery Navigo, you can choose the formula all zones, zones 2 and 3, zones 3 and 4 or finally 4 and 5.
- The picture. You must provide a passport photo for the Navigo Découverte (size: 3 cm x 2.5 cm) but not for the Paris Visit Pass.
- Card price. In addition to the price of the package itself, you must pay €5 for the Navigo Discovery card. This is not the case for the Paris Visit Pass.
Finally, in general, the Navigo Discovery Pass is, in most stays (not all, it would be too simple) much cheaper than the Paris Visit Pass. Thus, for example (prices applicable in September 2018):
- the price of a Navigo Discovery all areas is 22,80 €, for one week
- while a Paris Visit Pass 5 zones and for 3 days amounts to 53,75 € (26,65 € for 3 zones).
But be careful, to appreciate the difference, you must include the parameter of your arrival day: if you arrive on a Saturday for a period of three days, you will have to pay twice for a Navigo Discovery pass (one for the week of your arrival day, one for the week of your departure day)...
Finally, these two packages have at least one thing in common: they do not give you access to tourist buses (OpenTour, Cars Rouges...).
It is up to you to do your research and define what is best for you. In short, we can say:
- if you prefer simplicity of use, the Paris Visit Pass may be more suitable for you.
- if you prefer the price, the Navigo Découverte is often (not always…) more suitable.